Thursday, March 22, 2007

What a UP Student is Not

As I walk from my house to school, I notice that there are many people who will look at me. As they look at my skirt, then at my ID then at my necktie, I thought that they may be thinking behind the back of their heads that “So she is a UP Student”. I thought that they may be thinking that I am intelligent as they think. Some would even ask questions about me like “Is it hard to study in UP?” As they look at me, I really want to end it. Because it is really irritating and annoying. I thought that they may be thinking that I am the perfect student but I am really not. And so I would like to tell you what we are not.

First is that we are not perfect as I told you. I believe that nobody is perfect except for one person and his name is Mr. Perpecto as what our Home technology teacher in our 6th grade told us. When we say “perfect” it means that they have all the qualities. The good qualities in being a student. Like for example, they say that we are very smart but we are not really that smart. We are also like other students in other schools who are beginning to learn new things.

Another is that we are not only intelligent and bright students. It is not just brains but also we have the talents. There are students here in UP High that are also talented. There is Ate Virganie Oyao who is the Cebu’s Princess of Dance. Not only her but there are also clubs here in UP that not only consider the brains but also the talents. There is the UP Glee club whose members have such wonderful voices. There is also the UPSTAGE whose members do not have wonderful voices only but also the talent like Acting and Dancing. But let us not forget the students who are good in writing. The Tambuli members who have the minds that can captivate the students by their writing.

We are also not disrespectful to other people. As other people think that whenever a UP Student will answer his or her parents, they will then think that we do not have any respect for our elders. But the only reason why we answer to our elders is that we believe in what we say.

We are also not the “contrabida’s” of this country. They say that UP Students are the bad guys. Just like the activists. As you can see, most people who are into rallying are UP students. Then when they look into a UP student they will then think that this student will grow into a bad person.

We are also not immodest just be cause the people call us the “Iskolar ng Bayan”. We do not boast this just because we are given that title. But actually as what our Social Science teacher that we should consider ourselves lucky because our tuition is paid by the tax payers who are working very hard just to pay the taxes.

For me these are what the people will be thinking as they stare a Upian but we are like every student in this world who dream to have a better life and achieve our own dreams.

No comments: