Wednesday, March 21, 2007

On being taught by a student(KYSD)

Here in UP High, we celebrate one celebration during the month of February and this is what we call the "Know Your School Day". During these days, the teachers choose students to teach their fellow students about the subject they want to teach. The teachers also consider this as their "Day-Off" because they would rest for a few days and let the selected students to handle and take over. At the end of the day, the student teachers are given reward like additional points or material incentives like free food or meal(an example of which is the student teachers in English were given a free mael care of Mr Montejo himself, our English teacher).

Last year's Know your School Day, I was a student teacher for the Filipino subject. It was really really really tough to teach your fellow classmates.Sometimes while you are teaching them, they won't listen, they keep on talking or they do unecessary things. As a teacher, I was really really really annoyed and irratated the way the students treated me. But this year's "Know Your School Day", I did not join as a student teacher but as a student. The student teacher also tell us to keep quiet but eventhough the teachers will have to shout very very very hard and loud, the students will still won't listen. The students are very very very hard headed if their teacher is just their classmate.

And when the student teachers will give us a test, I admit that I sometimes complain but we do not have any choices but to follow our student teachers because they have more power on us. But many many students complain about having a test.


As our student teachers open their books and start teaching us, I will then sit up straight and listen very very very well so that I can understand the lessons so that I won't have a hard time understanding the lessons.

There are some students who teach very very very well but it cannot be avoided that there are somt student teachers who teach badly.

For those who teach very very very well, I understand right away because of the way they teach us. The student teachers that we had had different styles in teaching. Some had a game first before the discussion. Some had a story-telling before the discussion and many many many more styles. I like the game first before the discussion. It makes me awake, alert and prepared for the discussion.

Some student teachers have a soft voice that I can hardly hear a word he or she is saying. If ever the student teacher has a soft voice which I think is his or her nature, I will have to go to the platform and squat on the floor to be able to listen and hear every word he or she is saying and also to understand the lesson he or she is saying.

But I am thankful for this year's "Know Your School Day" celebration because the student teachers were good. They made us understand well. If we need help, they will help us of course and not only they taught us lessons but also lessons in our daily lives....

No comments: