Thursday, March 22, 2007

Love is a Fallacy (reaction to the story)

Dicto Simpliciter, Hasty Generalization, Post Hoc, Contradictory Premises, Ad Misericordiam, False Analogy, Hypothesis Contrary to Fact, Poisoning the Well. Hey these words sound unfamiliar. But do you know what these words are? These words are examples of fallacies of logic. What is logic by the way? Logic means the science of thinking. What is a fallacy? A fallacy is a component of an argument that is demonstrably flawed in its logic or form, thus rendering the argument invalid in whole, except in the case of begging the question, a false analogy and other informal fallacies. Actually this is only the first time I heard these words. And because of Sir Elmer I knew about these words.

These words are part of the story, Love is a Fallacy. At first, I did not like the story because it was very long. It was a story by Max Schulman and you know what? I really liked the story.

The story was about this guy who happens to be a law student. When I read the story from the begining I got kind of bored because some sentences were not so understandable. But I have to read the story so that I can make a reaction paper and a summary of the story. At first I thought that it was as love story because the main character mentioned about this girl that he liked. And so I began to be interested about the story because I like love sories. But then as the story goes on, I realizes that it was the girl named Polly Espy who is really stupid. I thought that she was a worthless person. She may be beautiful as what the main character told us, the readres, but she was kind of ignorant. She was a really and very stupied girl. But the guy was for me also kind of idiot. I mean he really persevered enough to teach the girl some fallacies of logic. I told myself that the gut really took the risk of teachng the girl. The guy also has this saying that it is, after all, easier to make a beautiful dumb girl smart than to make an ugly smart girl beautiful. This made me think that he is really courageous to take the risk of teaching the dumb girl.

And luckily he was lucky. The girl was able to learn about fallacies. But the bad thing is that the girl learned too much. When the guy told something to the girl, the girl told him that what he just said was just a fallacy. I thought that oh no the girl really learned too much. She took all the lessons that she learned very literally. She compared it to real life. The girl was really stupid enough to use what she learned against her teacher. And just because Petey Bellows has a raccoon coat does not mean that he is so cool and perfect for the girl but is he really perfect for the girl?

I really like the fact that Polly liked Petey than the guy. Well they are compatible because they are stupid (the Petey guy and Polly). But I wished that I can read a lot more stories like this.

No comments: